TC radiator badge replacement

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Nigel D

TC radiator badge replacement

Post by Nigel D » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:32 am

Would appreciate input from the wealth of experience out there.

The MG radiator badge on my TC is held on by an unsightly fitting right through the middle with a screw head on the outside. I just got round to buying a shiny new badge, but am unsure what's entailed to remove the radiator shell. It looks like I need to remove the bolts securing the shell to the radiator on the sides, the 2 at the bottom, the headlamp brackets, front chrome bonnet cover to hinge & the radiator cap .... then hopefully the shell will lift upwards? Is this "all" I need to do, or does the radiator also need to come out?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Nigel

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: TC radiator badge replacement

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:55 am

The shell does need to come off. You have it correct, but the shell pulls forward, not up. It wraps around the bottom of the radiator. I have removed mine with the radiator in place with no issues. Take care when removing to avoid scuffing the paint along the sides of the apron.

Once off, replacement of the badge is straightforward. Make sure the nut is secure since you can't get to it without removing the shell again!
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Nigel D

Post by Nigel D » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:05 pm

Many thanks Steve, that will be a job for next week then!

Rick Waters

Post by Rick Waters » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi Nigel,
When I bought a replacement radiator badge, I found the new piece was curved too much, and would not fit flush with the nose piece on the rad shell. I'd appreciate if you could let me know how yours fits, and from where you obtained it. Mine has a few battle scars, but nothing like you describe.
Rick Waters, TC 7881 in Vancouver

Owned since 1988, Driven many happy miles!

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:06 am

It seems the badges may not be made quite exactly correct in terms of shape. The one I have is new and probably from Moss, seems to have a bit less curve than it should. I got around this by getting a piece of thin rubber from an old tire tube and trimming it to fit exactly behind the badge using exactly the same shape. I tightened this into place and the badge looks fine, the little black area between the badge and nose is taken up with the tube and is not visible with all the chrome reflections and such.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:46 pm

Got mine from Moss several years ago and it fits like a glove.
Attachments
IMG_6549.jpg
IMG_6549.jpg (141 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Nigel D

Post by Nigel D » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:22 am

I've just fitted the new badge, and it fits perfectly on 7 of the 8 octagon flats; the 8th flat there's a small gap - and of course it's at the most visible point at the top of the badge.....

I might try Stephen's suggestion (thanks) & make a thin black rubber washer to see if the gap becomes less noticeable