Fitting rear axle

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Mark Robinson

Fitting rear axle

Post by Mark Robinson » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:21 am

Chaps

Sorry if this is a stupid question and known to all, but when refitting the rear axle to a bare chassis, is it correct that there is about an inch gap between the base of the axle bracket and the rear spring top plate?

Do I assume you have to add weight to the chassis and jack up the spring in order to fasten the two together?

Many thanks
Mark
TC4157
W Sussex, UK

Gene Gillam

Re: Fitting rear axle

Post by Gene Gillam » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:03 am

Mark,
I assume your rear axle is sitting on the chassis rails right now? If so, that is normal until you add weight to the rear of the car to lower the chassis in relation to the axle. It's been so long since I did mine that I can't remember for sure but I do believe I was able to bolt the axle/spring together before adding weight though.

Mark Robinson

Post by Mark Robinson » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:37 am

Thanks for the reply Gene. Yes, the axle's sitting on the two rubber strips on the chassis rails. I know in Mike Sherrell's book he says that the rear axle doesn't actually lift off the chassis until you've added the very last pin to the rebuild, or words to that effect, so I'm hoping mine is correct.

Kind regards
Mark

steve c

Post by steve c » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:41 am

Hi Mark,
I recently got to this stage with TC0894 which is undergoing a ground up rebuild. With new rear springs, the axle casing located onto the top spring mounting plates and bolted up fine. This has left a gap of around 3mm between the lower axle casing seam and the chassis.
I have not got the rubber bump stops fitted yet but plan to do this by placing a large piece of timber across the top of the chassis rails that will overhang the springs enabling woodworkers G clamps to be used to pull the spring / axle assembly up sufficiently to fit the rubbers.

Steve TC0894

Mark Robinson

Post by Mark Robinson » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:38 am

Hi Steve
Interesting. Perhaps my springs (not new) have sagged a bit. I've now bolted the axle to the springs and the lower axle casing seam is hard down on the rubber bump stops. Thanks for the reply.

Regards
Mark

Max Irvine

Post by Max Irvine » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:22 am

I have a pair of new rear springs for TC 9375 as well as a pair of original rear springs. The original springs have more "set" (about 1" at the axle mounting point) than the new springs. I have assembled the rear axle to the bare chassis quite easily with the new springs but I would have a problem with the other springs. I am wondering if I should use the originals rather than the new springs as there must be a difference in ride height. I would welcome some thoughts on this.

Max Irvine
TC9375
Last edited by Max Irvine on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gene Gillam

Post by Gene Gillam » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Max,
Are you saying the old (original) springs have more bend than the new ones? You've used *original* for both sets of springs and I can't follow what you mean.

Max Irvine

Post by Max Irvine » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi Gene,
I see where I made my mistake. The old springs have more bend in them.

Another difference is that the old springs have leaf clips with bolts in them so that the spring can come apart easily for greasing. The new springs have folded over tabs on the clips so they are a lot more difficult to pull apart.