TABC chat

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Tim Patchett

TABC chat

Post by Tim Patchett » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:46 pm

I have just registered with yourMG TABCs Online due to the fact I supplied Rick Waters ,one of your members ,who bought a set of TA/C stub axles from me a few years ago, and I am pleased that they have worked fine ,as so they should as they are made from the original drawings but machined from modern material etc.
The reason for this message is that I have put another batch into production which will be ready in 2 to 3 weeks and one of my new "cottage industry "customers mentioned this forum.

Brief history of myself ,had a TA basket case import from California rebuilt in !997 as a race car ,and have raced it since.Originally fitted with a 1350cc XPAG engine but now fitted with an 1500 XPEG engine .

Due to the fact that various original parts were not available, or the quality of certain items did not fit or were of rubbish quality ,over the last few years I have made certain items
ie stub axles ,one piece oil pump drives ,rose jointed steering arms ,TC gearbox speedo drive gears etc ,on a "Cottage Industry" basis which is a hobby to help others out and certainly not a business venture.

Off to the Goodwood Revival next week driving a MG Dargue owned by Chris Pamplin ,a great honour to do so.

Kind Regards
Tim

Rick Waters

Re: TABC chat

Post by Rick Waters » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Let me say that I did install the stub axles from Tim, and am well-pleased with them. At the same time, did the king-pin bushings, and had custom thickness shims made for the vertical clearance. You have to do this sort of thing to appreciate what a difference it makes in the steering and stability of the Ts.

New spring pins and shackle bushes front and back, new wheel bearings, rebuilt and trued wheels, wheel balancing, and totally rebuilding the BC box were done prior to the above. Car is a pleasure to drive fast through curves. Not quite the same as my BMW 3 series, but "so close"!
Rick Waters, TC 7881 in Vancouver

Owned since 1988, Driven many happy miles!

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Did the same except for the steering (already had a Datsun box installed) and I agree, the car was transformed. Rebuilt wheels, new tires, new king pins, poly bushings, new wheel bearings, etc.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Gene Gillam

Post by Gene Gillam » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:28 am

Tim,
Can you explain what "one piece oil pump drives" are and possibly post a photo?
Thanks,
Gene

garnaes43

Post by garnaes43 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:36 am

How much are the stubs (I have an early & a late TA)? Jan Johnson/Cincinnati

garnaes43

Post by garnaes43 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:37 am

How much are the stubs (I have an early & a late TA)? Jan Johnson/Cincinnati