history of my tc part 2

Discussion of TABC-related matters
TCTrev

history of my tc part 2

Post by TCTrev » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:19 am

thanks to every body for looking for hitory the info i have is restoration by krekovich automotive restoration 1638 central city kansas city missouri the owner of the tc had it shipped from england he was a american soldier thanks to every body

frenchblatter

Re: history of my tc part 2

Post by frenchblatter » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:37 am

Trevor, give me a call on 0741 9905 741 or norman@frenchblat.com, thanks
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

timberstone

Post by timberstone » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:05 pm

Trevor,
Saw your MGTC when it was in Jim Krekovich's shop in Kansas City in 1975 to '80 at various times while under restoration.
He was located on Central Street in the 1800 block. The building is still there.

"Krek" was the best and most artistic MG T series restorer in the United States at that time. Not enough about him can be written here because his legend went so far and wide.
He was a very early member of the New England MGT Register, contributing many articles and supplied the club with much memorabilia (which unfortunately was never acknowledged to him).
He was the leader of the Midwest MG-T Series Auto Club, of which I was a member. All of us still invoke his name and carry his memory deeply in our hearts. There must be a book about him.
Unfortunately, there are no surviving records of the MG Ts that he worked on then due to his passing in the late 1990's. Think this MGTC was owned by an officer at Whiteman Air Force base who brought it from England and was stationed there. The officer was being transferred and could not take it with him. The color was red but paint was worn and peeling. Jim bought it from him for $1,800. (I had missed getting myself by just a few hours!)

Jim then restored it from the frame up to winning concourse condition.
The color was original black - but with chrome wire wheels and white sidewall tires. It was a beautiful car.
The subsequent owner was Stan Glazer who had it until about 1983, when it went to Saul Ellis in Overland Park KS. Not sure how long Saul owned it but then after that lost track of where it went.
Seems to me that somewhere in the register of the New England MG T Register that this car should show up, because Jim would either have listed it there himself or urged Stan or Saul to list it there.
Hope this helps and that I can get some more information also.

Octagonally yours,
BOXLEY Robert and MGTC 0820)

timberstone

Post by timberstone » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:16 pm

Correction: the Address of Jim Krekovich's shop was 1638 Central Kansas City Missouri and the building is not still there.
Octagonally yours

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:55 pm

It’s nice to see ‘Krek’s’ name in print again! He was a good friend and you are fortunate, Trevor, to have an example of his work as a restorer. He helped immensely when I restored my J2 back in the ‘70s by supplying detail photos of an unmolested Swept Wing J2 he’d bought that had sat in storage for years in Morocco. He’d stop over and stay with us on his way to GoF South and I’d visit with him whenever I passed through KC. We attended the Ponder auction together in TX back in 2007 and that's the last time I was with him. He was a kind and generous fellow, loved a good beer and also loved to laugh. In the photo he’s closing the bonnet on the Moroccan J2. The polaroids are the car as-found and there’s one of it in the parking lot outside his shop. Robert, that may be his black TC with chrome wheels you mentioned, over the back of the J2.

Interestingly enough that J2 is for sale now, essentially in the same condition as when he gave it a most sympathetic restoration all those years ago in KC MO. see: http://davidsclassiccars.com/mg/45315-1 ... idget.html Full disclosure; I have no financial in the sale but would love to pass along all these photos to the new owner.

Thanks for bringing back good memories.
Bill - TA2190
Attachments
Krek's_J2.jpg

timberstone

Post by timberstone » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:29 pm

The white-wall tired MG in the background of the photo in Krekovich's shop is not Trevor's MGTC.
I think this photo was taken at an earlier time when Krek's shop was at another location a few blocks away.

Some members of the Kansas City MG Car Club are trying to dig up more history about these Krekovich examples.
Octagonally yours
BOXLEY (Robert and MGTC 0820)

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:48 am

Yes, Robert, not Trevor’s TC but I thought from your description it might be (his) Jim’s black TC.
When I visited it was at his home and was not in his shops so I’ve little knowledge of the workplaces.
I have photos of a couple of other car he restored here somewhere; Morgan? and a white MG YT that I can send off list if you think the KC club would be interested.
Best regards all,
Bill