T Gearbox

Discussion of TABC-related matters
WXG 831

T Gearbox

Post by WXG 831 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:39 am

Hi All,

I have a weeping g-box leak from the mating surface between the g-box and the rear cover plate.

Is it possible to remove the rear gearbox cover plate without removing the gear box and engine? the manual mentions only striping the g-box when removed from the car.

Thanks in Advance,

Paul.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: T Gearbox

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:29 am

Every once in a while, someone asks a question that has never been asked before. I have no idea! I suppose it's possible. Since the mounts are attached to the rear plate, you would have to support the gearbox and engine before removing. And space might be a bit limited.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Bob Schapel

Post by Bob Schapel » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:59 am

I agree with Steve. However, before you try doing that, I would suggest trying to tighten all the bolts/nuts holding the rear cover to the box. I would also thoroughly clean the area and see if the leak is actually from the speedo drive. If it is a very slight leak, it could be coming from a nut. That is .... the oil could be seeping through the thread of a rear stud and then seeping from the split in the split washer under a nut. That might be cured with some sealant under the nut. Wishful thinking by an optimist? Good luck with the cure.
Bob Schapel

JonnyP

Post by JonnyP » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:21 am

I thought I had the same problem a while ago, but it was a loose speedo pinion housing. Oil was bleeding out from the joint between the housing and the end casing and running down to the lowest point of the casing, which is why I thought it was a leaking joint.
TC2190 / XPAG1098 (originally 2745).