Touring TC

Discussion of TABC-related matters
PeterSprot

Touring TC

Post by PeterSprot » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:15 am

A few month ago I posted a question asking for help about what to take on a long trip.
I am very thankful to those who answered and it helped a lot in thinking about what to take.
Now our journey has begun and I will post a list of what I ended up taking in the next few days.
If anyone is interested to follow you can do so by using this link. https://findpenguins.com/7s3dgjkegjmro/ ... 1-75241369
We will be updating it as we travel so you can see where we are.
Today is the end on day one which which had a mixture of sunshine, rain, thick fog, very heavy traffic and failing ignition on Britain's busiest motorway.
Regards to all
Peter Sprot

PeterSprot

Re: Touring TC

Post by PeterSprot » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:29 am

Here is my checklist
I forgot the socket extension bar and it was on the list!
Feel free to suggest other bits as we will be going again. (don't say half shafts :) )

Of course the unexpected happened and the journey ended with damaged half shaft and oil in the drums.

We did over 1000 miles before the breakdown and what did I use..... One spark plug and half a cup of oil.

Tools =
Spanners open ended and ring. whitworth, af and a few metric.
Sockets mostly whitworth with long and short extension, flex coupling, plug remover,
Small socket set in a box, four screwdrivers, standard and point noise pliers, mole grips, pipe grips, circlip pliers, feeler gauges, points spanner, hammer and hide mallet, jack, torch, fire extinguisher, workshop manual, owners manual, rags, tow rope, grease gun, oil can,

Spares=
Fuel pump, fuel filter, water pump, distributor cap, rotor arm, plugs, points, condenser, flasher unit, bulbs, inner tube,
WD40, tyre repair spray, radiator sealant, gasket sealant, 2 litres oil, water bottle, duck tape, electrical tape, self amalgamating tape, grease, differential oil,

Required by law=
Reflective triangle, yellow reflective bibs, bulbs, breathalyser, papers of car ownership insurance, passport, driving licence, first aid kit,

Travel Essentials=
Maps, sat nav, smart phone, good breakdown cover, bank card, currency, spare glasses, power socket converter.

Personal=
Sun glasses, sun block, tablets, toiletries,

Clothing=
Hat, gloves?, jumper, tee shirts, jeans, socks, underpants, shirts, water proof jacket,

Gadgets=
Tablet, chargers, universal power socket converter,

What I forgot to bring=
Socket extension bar.
Sand paper.
Plug cleaning brush.

sorry about the picture being at 90 degrees.
The mountain wasn't that steep
if you click on it, it turns around.
Attachments
20160624_163207.jpg

dirk w dondorp

Re: Touring TC

Post by dirk w dondorp » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:09 pm

Peter, I would strongly advise to take along the phone/internet coordinates of the MG clubs in the foreign countries you travel. Even better, contact them on beforehand so you are familar to them. In Germany the MG club has a list of MG specialized garages for instance.
I am sure that the Italian MG club could have advised you of finding a helpfull garage to solve a mayor problem like you encounterd en route. ( you did pass one in the train........)
Things like fuel, water pump filters etc are all off the shelf" products which you can order en route and receive within 48 hrs. A flasher unit is not necessary; the TC was built for hand signals only and for me not a spare part to take along! With so little room in the TC I think you could have done with 75 % of what you listed, if not more!
But if you are more comfy this way, why not?