Volkswagon steering box conversion

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Max Irvine

Volkswagon steering box conversion

Post by Max Irvine » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:29 am

I have made a couple of conversions of Datsun steering boxes for TC's but the boxes are now very hard to come by. Does anyone have all the details of VW steering box conversions? I would like to see if I can make them if possible but don't know the exact details.

Rick Waters

Re: Volkswagon steering box conversion

Post by Rick Waters » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Contact Bud Silvers, of the TABC list. He is the authority on this, at least in North America. He's also engineered the kit needed to make the conversion.

But hey! Why would you do this to such a vintage car? Mine steers just fine with a properly rebuilt Bishop CAm box.
Rick Waters, TC 7881 in Vancouver

Owned since 1988, Driven many happy miles!

Max Irvine

Post by Max Irvine » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:43 pm

From everything I am told the conversion is a dramatic improvement from the original correctly rebuilt original. It can be removed and the car put back to original very easily so in the interest of safety with no risk of a pitman arm failure why not do it.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:15 pm

I have a Datsun conversion which is similar to the VW. It was already in the car when I got it. While steering effort is greatly reduced, you do lose a lot of the sporty, snappy feel of the steering. The ratio is much lower than original so it's a bit more truck-like. No more rounding corners without going hand over hand. If you try, your hands will hit your thighs before you make the apex.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Owen

Post by Owen » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:13 pm

One of the things I like about my TA is the direct steering. 1 1/4 turns from lock to lock.

When you get the rear end hanging out it only takes a twitch of the wheel to bring it back again.

Max Irvine

Post by Max Irvine » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:25 pm

Rick, I contacted Bud and he has offered his help.

I intend to get my car on the road with bishop cam in place but I would like to have the option of the change. I had old Morrises with the BC box and at 50 mph they were all over the road, nothing was in top condition though.

i.thomson

Post by i.thomson » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:56 am

If safety is the issue new pitman/drop arms are available in modern steel much cheaper than a foreign box conversion. While the BC box is not a particularly good design the reason that the conversions feel better is that they have a much lower steering ratio. While this pleases some people who prefer the more modern feel it does detract from the character of the car and may potentially cover up the real steering problems which often lie elsewhere in the suspension.

Rick Waters

Post by Rick Waters » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:55 pm

Can anyone direct me to the supplier of the new and improved Pitman arms, aka droparms.

I did purchase the new knuckles and spindles from Tim Patchett, so that worry is no longer. I do like to take my trusty ole TC on long drives in the mountains around here, and I do NOT want to die young, or have to have the car trailered home.
Rick Waters, TC 7881 in Vancouver

Owned since 1988, Driven many happy miles!

Gene Gillam

Post by Gene Gillam » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:36 pm

Steve...

Doug Pelton carries them....saw one at GOF West.

Gene

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Wasn't me asking, but darn it was everyone at GoF West this year? I know a lot of our usual So Cal TC'ers didn't make this one but it seems like quite a few came from across the country. Second one I've missed.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com