Bottom windscreen brackets

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Mark Robinson

Bottom windscreen brackets

Post by Mark Robinson » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:44 am

Am I expecting too much? Is this degree of alignment acceptable and do I press on regardless? Or should I seek an alternative supplier of the lower brackets (they are from Moss).

Thank you and regards,
Mark
TC4157
Attachments
20230114_152339 (3).jpg

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: Bottom windscreen brackets

Post by Steve Simmons » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:53 am

I wouldn't be happy with that. The corner bracket might be drilled incorrectly. Sometimes you can bend the bracket to get a better alignment, but that looks pretty far off. I've heard the Moss brackets can be problematic. Maybe return it and try From The Frame Up instead. I don't know if they carry the same bracket as Moss or if they've made their own, but it's worth a shot.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:25 pm

Hi- Been a while since I've posted anything. New trim parts are a fitment issue with every restoration I've done or been involved with.

Maybe you've already tried this.

When I last rebuilt my TC windshield frame, I had all screws loose around the perimeter of the frame and tightened them gradually going around all four corners taking a bit of time doing up the screws, pushing and pulling gradually. I'm trying to recall, but the inner threaded angle irons might fit better flipped 90 degrees, or traded side to side. Often it's this way with assemblies in general; they need to be tightened gradually going side to side so they draw together evenly.

You'll get it Mate

Martin Johnson
TC6219

Mark Robinson

Post by Mark Robinson » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:26 am

Thanks Chaps.

I think the holes are simply drilled incorrectly for my windscreen frame. I shall try a bit of bending/hammering before resorting to making my own or seeking a different supplier.

Regards
Mark

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:40 am

I recently had to drill (4mm) and tap my own 2 BA holes because of this.:Image

What you can do, of course, is sweat a short length of brass stud into the hole; then drill and tap another hole... This is what I did with another bracket where only one hole was out of line.