Ignition switch

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Mark Robinson

Ignition switch

Post by Mark Robinson » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:30 am

The 3-position ignition switch that came with the car looks to be correct, but on the rear of the moulding it states PLC2. All the TC references seem to be PLC6. Before I attempt to restore it, does anyone know if this is the correct item?

Many thanks
Mark Robinson
TC4157
Attachments
IMAG0667.jpg
IMAG0668.jpg

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Re: Ignition switch

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:52 am

I believe the MRN lock cylinder was used in British cars from the 30's up into early TD production; I am pretty sure the PLC2 switch is fine for a TC. There was an article on rebuilding the switch in TTT2 in (I'm guessing) 2009; it should be easy to find, and there was also a lot of discussion about different ways to reassemble the switch in the MG BBS archives.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, if you want a really nice, professional and complete job, send it to Craig Seabrook at The Whitworth Shop in Novelty, OH, whose workmanship and attention to detail will amaze you. Honestly, it's such a fiddly process to rebuild one of these switches (and you might have to cannibalize other switches for parts) that it is well worth the cost. I can't recommend him highly enough - also for his gorgeous switch panels. Like speedometers and distributors, this is one of those things best left to the experts...

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

Mark Robinson

Post by Mark Robinson » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:34 am

Thanks Tom. I was thinking of the Whitworth option. You may have just made the decision for me.

Regards
Mark

AbingdonSpares

Post by AbingdonSpares » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:13 pm

It is really worth it to send it to Craig Seabrook, he has done many for us and his quality excellent. It really is a job left to people who do it everyday.